Super Easy 60 Minute Summer Table Decoration Craft Project
I'm saying a BIG HELLO to summer with this super easy and fun craft project decorating pillar candles with starfish. Looking for a poolside, crab boil picnic or beach wedding table decoration ideas? This adult craft idea makes an upscale table decoration for evening poolside dinning or as a beach wedding table decor. I confess when I found these dead stock starfish my mind couldn't help but think of all the cool craft projects for them. This is a simple and softly sophisticated use of dried natural starfish which are available in my shop.
Let's get started!
What You'll Need:
- Candle or candles.
- Starfish. I used my smallest starfish which measure 1" to 1 1/2".
- Glue Gun
- Multi Temp Glue Sticks
- Loctite Fun-Tak
- Pencil with eraser end. (not pictured)
Step One: Creating a Design
Apply the tiny balls to the center of the starfish and create a pattern on your candle. The advantage of the Loctite is if you don't like your design you can move the starfish around until it's just the way you want it.
Plug in your glue gun and insert a glue stick a couple minutes before you are ready to glue so it has a chance to preheat.
Step Two: Attaching the Starfish
Remove the Loctite Fun-Tak from the starfish and place a tiny amount of hot glue to the center of the starfish. Allow it to cool just for a moment and carefully pick up the starfish by the legs and place it on the candle pressing the center with the eraser end of a pencil to avoid burning your fingers.
Repeat until all your starfish are attached to the candle. Note: This is an adult craft project because it requires the use of a glue gun. Take extreme care when applying the molten glue to the starfish and applying it to the candle.
Table Decoration Ideas:Whether you are creating one candle for the perfect poolside romantic dinner, several for a casual outdoor seafood feast or a beach themed casual outdoor wedding reception these fun table decoration ideas will make entertaining fun and a snap.
- Use rolls of brown craft or shipping paper to line your picnic table instead of using linens.
- Use the Loctite Fun-Tak to secure the paper to your table on the corners so the wind doesn't blow your table covering away!
- Create a base for your candles with sand which you can nestle your candles into. This also is a safety precaution if a candle tips the sand will keep the hot wax of your table.
- Use candles of different sizes to add dimension and interest.
- If you have them use glass hurricane covers for your candles.
- Use a galvanized bucket(s) spray painted white or light blue as wine or champagne coolers.
- Keep it simple by using raffia to tie paper napkins rolled up with plastic utensils presented in a natural basket for large groups. Especially good because they can be prepared way ahead of the party.
- Use economical paper plates with natural wicker paper plate holders.
- Use plastic champagne glasses to serve individual shrimp cocktails with the sauce in the bowl of the glass, a wedge of lemon and beautiful pink shrimp hanging on the rims. These are not only fun, but give a nice pop of color!
- For a more intimate dinner, us vintage melamine plastic ware in place of paper plates. Think soft colors; white, robin's egg blue, jade or sea-foam green will carry the beach theme.
- For the Fourth of July - use a mix of vintage red white and blue melamine serveware. Such as was manufactured by Dansk Designs.
|Dress your table with this fun and easy project.|
|Tiny 1" to 1 1/2" Starfish|
|Small 1 1/2" to 2" Starfish|
I hope this project has inspired you to get creative and have fun entertaining and being crafty this summer!
Cheers! Deb @ TheInspiredTrader
You can find me on Google+ here! http://gplus.to/TheInspiredTrader
Facebook: TheInspiredTrader on Facebook