Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Wild Foamflowers are Blooming


"In nature every moment is new, the past is always swallowed and forgotten, the coming only is sacred.  Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit.  Ralph Waldo Emerson"


Come along with me and hike the back woods to a lush area where the Foamflowers are blooming in mass.  And yes, they're called Foamflowers (one word), it's not a typo!

It's spring up here in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Georgia.  Nature is on the move and the wild Foamflowers are blooming.  I promise you some enchanting views.  We've had a couple exciting sightings, the snakes are on the move, and our first bear; which really put me off hiking for a bit back in this area because it's exactly where he was headed.  Then our "resident" doe come check out my compost spot for any goodies like apple peels.  I know she has at least one fawn hidden away near by.

Click on any photograph it will take you to a larger view.


Wild Foamflowers in North Georgia
I'm slowly learning the names of the wild flowers and which ones are edible.  I've been drying some wild flowers thinking it would be nice to make wild flower potpourri.  I didn't get as many wild violas this spring because it rained almost everyday during the very short season (about 3 weeks).  So it's important I know which ones are poisonous to the touch beyond the normal poison ivy, oak and sumac.  Not to worry I successfully avoided all rashes!  Now bug bites are another matter.  They are kind of baked into the hiking cake.





The flowers top a stem about 6 to 8 inches high.


Pictures can't convey the true beauty of this area.  But I try.

This area is a gorge or gap between two mountains.  This is the view from above on the old wood road.


I'm going to take you down into the gorge along the creek bed.  Then I'll take you up stream almost to the beginning of the creek which by the way is formed by natural artisan wells.  The water just bubbles up from the ground.  This is where we get our water from here at the cabin.





This is how they are formed.  In the case of our creek, two mountains come together pushing at each other forcing the water up.

"Artesian Well" by Andrew Dunn - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Artesian_Well.png#/media/File:Artesian_Well.png

The view going down stream into the deep part of the gorge.

This is my favorite spot and photograph!  Just a fabulous experience.

 I've always wondered how deep the cave was under that large moss covered rock.  I didn't go all the way down as the water is deep enough that it'll ruin my hiking boots.  I'll save that for a warmer day when I can wear my water shoes.

To the right of the previous photograph and creek headed downward into the  deepest part of the gorge.

A lovely cluster on the bank of the creek.


Another cluster now heading up stream.
Another pretty little area with the water gurgling through a moss covered decaying log.
No matter where you look the view is outstanding!

A reminder to watch your step.  I found the porcelain insert to the zinc top to this old mason jar.

Miss Bonnie came along on this hike.

Bonnie in the creek bed - playing a stepping stone game against the water.

I'm in the creek for most of these photographs.  Sometimes you just have to get your feet wet to get a good shot.
Pushing up the mountain, the creek widens and is shallow enough for me to walk up for some pretty shots.

The curve of the land.



This large (about 3' x 5') quartz boulder is testimony to the power of the glaziers which formed these mountains.


Up stream view.


A closer view of  the decaying fallen tree as it gives new birth to the forest floor.
Time to turn around and head back home.

Down steam view.

Last but not least.  The next bloomer I'll be featuring is the Dwarf Crested Iris.  I found a nice patch of them getting ready to bloom.  Here's a photo of an early bloomer.



I hope you enjoyed the hike and will follow along.  Deb